Sunday, 2 October 2011

Stage 1 of painting


When producing a painting, I prefer to approach it loosely with an idea or visual incomplete. Of course I am sympathetic to my interests, and whatever I am reading or inspired by at that time will be reflected as a consequence, however, I paint to exercise these ideas and develop them into things I would never have envisaged, be it a result of aleatoric properties of the materials, narrative and/or concept.

This is one of the reasons I often reuse old canvases and paint over existing works. The dissemination of surface allows for me to play around and investigate the phenomenological qualities of colour and texture. This canvas in particular I have had for over 4 years and have finally decided to paint over a work I produced on my foundation year all those years ago.

I have no idea where this painting will end, but I take its point of departure from an interest in sensuality and The Sublime.

No comments:

Post a Comment