Friday, 8 April 2011

The Whimsical and the Fantastical

A work in progress, inspired by coloured air.

Some have said the gnarled and knotted composition of the trees to be reminiscent of Tim Burton’s illustrations. This was not a contrived attempt on my part, but I was inspired by my etchings which did seem to manifest an illustrative quality with a melody of the whimsical and fantastical.

This piece is about a third of the way finished and it has taken me about two months to get it to this stage. I have been using a traditional and laborious technique where by thin layers of transparencies (using medium and emulsion) are built up so as to create a glow and an aura of atmosphere (these subtle nuances have not been captured on camera very well,and in the flesh this piece looks different). My teacher Abraham Pincas taught me this is how one creates depth, and “you need the penetration for it to feel good...”...!

No comments:

Post a Comment